- What are some of the benefits of purchasing a recommended laptop?
- What kind of support is available if I don't purchase a recommended laptop?
- Will my laptop come with Microsoft Office, antivirus software, etc.?
- How do I know which laptop model is best for me?
Purchasing a Laptop
- How do I pay for my laptop?
- Is financing available?
- Where should I have my laptop delivered?
- Can I apply for additional financial aid to cover the cost of my laptop? What is the process?
What are some of the benefits of purchasing a recommended laptop?
A recommended laptop is purchased at a discount and includes a comprehensive three-year hardware warranty. Dell, HP, and Lenovo laptops also come with accidental damage protection and next-day on-site repair for hardware problems. For more information about the manufacturers' warranties, please visit the Support for Recommended Laptops page.
What kind of support is available if I don't purchase a recommended laptop?
Technical assistance and support for software problems are available, regardless of what laptop a student has, but hardware support is limited for non-recommended models.
Will my laptop come with Microsoft Office, antivirus software, etc.?
The recommended laptops are prepared and shipped by the manufacturer and do not come with any Quinnipiac-licensed software preinstalled. However, Microsoft Office, antivirus software, and other commonly used applications are available to download for free via MyQ. Some Microsoft software is also available for discounted purchase at the Technology Center. Please visit the Frequently Requested Software page on myQ for more information on available software.
- Does your major encourage students to use Windows or Mac laptops? If you are not sure, ask someone from your department what they recommend.
- How often are you going to carry your laptop with you? If you want to bring it with you everywhere, you might want to purchase a lightweight laptop.
- Do you plan to store a lot of large files, such as pictures and videos, on your computer? If so, you should either choose a laptop with a lot of storage space or consider purchasing an external drive to storage large files you do not use frequently.
There are many other factors to consider when making your decision. If you need advice or have a question about a particular model, please call 203-582-HELP (4357) or submit a Technology Help Request.
Purchasing a Laptop
Payment options vary for each laptop manufacturer:
- Apple laptops can be purchased via credit card or via Apple gift cards. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express are accepted. Financing is also available for Apple laptops. (This option will be presented during checkout.)
- Dell laptops can be purchased via credit card or via mailed cashier's check. Mastercard, Visa, and Discover are accepted.
- HP laptops can be purchased via credit card. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club are accepted.
- Lenovo laptops can be purchased via credit card. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express are accepted.
Where should I have my laptop delivered?
You should have your laptop delivered to your home. Because of export laws and license restrictions, laptop manufacturers will not ship a computer outside the United States. If you do not have an address within the U.S., you will need to make alternate arrangements to have the laptop shipped to your Quinnipiac address or another U.S. address.
Can I apply for additional financial aid to cover the cost of my computer? What is the process?
Yes, a family can request additional PLUS Loan (parent loan) or alternative loan funds for computer-related expenses. Just include the cost of the computer when applying for your loan, and send the Office of Financial Aid proof of purchase to support the additional costs, so it can certify the appropriate amount on your loan. For entering students, federal regulations require all loan proceeds to be disbursed no earlier than 30 days after the beginning of the semester. Students will need to take this into consideration when purchasing a computer. Grant aid is not available for these purchases. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 203-582-8750 or 800-462-1944, or by email.