The Self Disclosing Process
Quinnipiac does not have a separate program designed to meet the needs of students with disabilities. However, some of our admitted students do have disabilities. If an admitted student with a disability chooses to self-disclose the nature of his or her disability in order to receive reasonable academic accommodations (as students are legally entitled to by federal law), he or she should follow the directions below:
If you are accepted and need to officially self-disclose your disability to any or all of your professors, you'll need to do the following:
- Be able to produce documentation that states you were evaluated by a qualified professional and that you have a disability that substantially limits a major life activity. The report and/or testing should be recent.
- Call 203-582-5390 or stop in the Learning Commons (located in the Arnold Bernhard Library) to make an appointment to see John Jarvis, coordinator of learning services, who is responsible for following Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. He can also direct you to Quinnipiac's Guidelines and Procedures for Implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- You'll need to bring a copy of your documentation if you have not sent it ahead of time. Please check when you set up the appointment. If you have sent this information to the Admissions Office, please say so and we will request it from Admissions.
- If you have sent your documentation prior to the meeting, it will be reviewed by that time. If you bring documentation to the meeting, more time may be necessary to review it. During the meeting, appropriate reasonable academic accommodations will be discussed.
- Please bring a copy of your current schedule with the names of your professors at the time of your appointment.
- You will be asked at the meeting to sign a release form. This release will allow us to contact whomever we deem necessary to facilitate arrangements for reasonable accommodations.
- You will contact each your professors to discuss implementing these accommodations.
Please direct any questions regarding disclosing a disability to:
Coordinator of Learning Services