Will I need to report my parents' income and asset information on the FAFSA and Need Access application?
Yes, parent information is required for students who wish to be considered for institutional financial aid (aid given by the medical school) even though an applicant is considered independent for purposes of federal loans.

How do I determine the additional amount of funds I can borrow in a Federal Graduate PLUS or private educational loan?
You may borrow up to the cost of attendance (COA) minus any other aid received. If your COA equals the amount of aid on your financial aid award letter, then you cannot borrow an additional loan. If your COA is larger than the amount of aid on your financial aid award letter, then you can borrow up to the difference.  

Do I have to accept the full amount of the loan offered on my financial aid award letter?
No, you may accept all or part of the loan offered. You should indicate the amount you wish to borrow on your electronic financial aid award letter. For example: If you are awarded $10,000 for the fall semester and $10,000 for the spring semester, but you need to borrow only $3,000 per semester. Replace the $10,000 with $3,000 for each semester, accept the award and submit the response.

Can I borrow educational loans for relocation expenses?
No, you will need to budget for these expenses using your own resources. The maximum amount you can borrow is the cost of attendance minus other aid. The ten-month cost-of-attendance budget does not include your living expenses for the summer and does not take into consideration expenses related to owning a car, relocating to Connecticut, or other debt.

I would like to live alone. Can I get an increase to my cost of attendance?
Our academic year budget reflects the expectation that you will have at least one roommate and is not increased if you choose to live alone. You will need to budget for the additional expenses using your own resources.

Whom should I contact if I borrowed a Federal Loan as an undergraduate?
You must notify your lender of your return to school to initiate a loan deferment. The deferment process will halt your loan repayment obligation so long as you are enrolled at least as a half-time (6 credits) student. You may be required to complete deferment paperwork and submit that paperwork to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

If I have already started a semester, may I still apply for financial aid?
Yes, you may apply for financial aid once a semester has started. Keep in mind that all paperwork must be complete, your FAFSA and Need Access results received by the University, and your Federal Direct Loan originated prior to the last date of enrollment for the academic period.

How are my Federal Direct Loan funds credited to my account?
Once you have completed your Federal Direct Master Promissory Note and entrance counseling, your funds will be disbursed to the University in two equal installments (minus applicable fees) via electronic funds transfer no sooner than 10 days prior to the start of each semester. Loan proceeds are applied to your account balance. If funds are remaining after the account is paid, the Office of the Bursar will issue a refund within 14 calendar days either by directly depositing the funds into your personal account or mailing a check to your address on file. It is imperative that you make financial arrangements with your landlord and/or creditors in advance of the start of class. Refunds, in excess of your institutional charges, will be issued at the time your account is in a credit balance position, which is often well into the semester. We will make every effort to expedite your financial aid; however, please remember this is the busiest time of year for us and the Department of Education, so please try to be as timely as possible when submitting your paperwork.

What are my repayment options for Federal Graduate PLUS Loans after graduation?
You may elect to defer your payments for six months; however, interest will continue to accrue. Beyond that, you should contact the Department of Education to discuss options, such as forbearance.

Do I have to re-apply for financial aid every year?
Yes, you must re-apply for financial aid each year. You must file your FAFSA and your Need Access Application after Jan. 1, and the recommended deadline to submit both applications is April 30 each year.

Back to top