Please check the Department of State Web site for more information.

Applicants for student visas should generally apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence. Find a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Required Documentation:

  • Each applicant for a student visa must pay a nonrefundable $200.00 USD application fee to the US Embassy.

You will need to submit:

  • Your I-20.  This is a “SEVIS I-20” and includes three pages. You must bring all three pages with you to apply for the visa.
  • An application Form OF-156 and 158 completed and signed. Blank forms are available without charge at all U.S. consular offices.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.  If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make an application.
  • One photograph 2 x 2 inches (roughly 50 mm square) for each applicant, showing full face, without head covering, against a light background.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover your educational expenses.
  • Evidence of “compelling ties.” Student visa applicants must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that they have binding ties to a residence in their home country which they have no intention of abandoning, and that they will depart the United States after completion of their studies.
  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended. Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc. Please be aware that some consulates may require the test scores even if Quinnipiac University does not.

It is important that you are able to articulate your educational goals; emphasizing how your degree will help you when you return home and that you do not talk about a desire to work while in the U.S.

Family Members:
A spouse and unmarried, minor children may also be classified for a nonimmigrant visa to accompany or follow the student. Family members must meet all visa eligibility requirements, including evidence that they will have sufficient funds for their support, and that they will depart the U.S. when the student's program ends. Spouses and children of international students may not accept employment at any time.

Further Inquiries:
Questions on how to obtain an I-20 should be made to the admissions office. Questions on visa application procedures at the American consular offices abroad should be addressed to that consular office by the applicant.

Back to top