University gets fired up over safety

Quinnipiac students look on as the simulated residence catches fire, reaching temperatures between 800 and 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Heating up

Quinnipiac students look on as the simulated residence catches fire, reaching temperatures between 800 and 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

W

ith National Fire Prevention Week next week, the university teamed up with the Hamden Fire Department to demonstrate the importance of fire safety on campus as well as teach potentially life-saving skills.

“A live burn has a bigger impact to show students the dangers of college housing fires,” said Brian Dolan, Hamden’s Fire Marshal. “This definitely has a wow-factor with the students when they see how intense the burn is and how fast the fire spreads.”

A Quinnipiac University student watches from a safe distance as the fire is lit, and quickly spreads through the rest of the room.

You have to see to believe

A Quinnipiac University student watches from a safe distance as the fire is lit, and quickly spreads through the rest of the room.

Students were able to see first-hand what happens when a residence hall room is engulfed in flames — and receive educational tips on how to prevent a fire from happening in their room. 

Members of the university community were urged by Quinnipiac Fire Marshal Rich Hally to regularly check that smoke detectors are not obscured and that rooms are free of fire hazards. 

“It’s good to remind our campus community of the importance of safety on campus,” said Mark DeVilbiss, director of residential life. “Fire safety is particularly important because of the prevalence of fires on campuses nationwide.”