Welcomes Media Inquiries
Katie R Place
Professor of Public Relations
Katie R. Place, Ph.D., APR is a Professor of Public Relations where she teaches courses in public relations, strategic planning, and ethics. Dr. Place's research examines the nexus of power, listening and ethics in public relations. She has authored more than 75 conference papers, books, or publications -- including peer-reviewed articles in Journal of Public Relations Research, Public Relations Review, PRism, Journal of Media Ethics, Public Relations Inquiry, and Journal of Communication Management.
Dr. Place is a board member of the PRSA Greater Connecticut Chapter, a board member of the Commission on Public Relations Education, a member of the Page Society, and serves as senior research fellow at The Arthur W. Page Center. She is a past head of the Public Relations Division of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), and a past head of AEJMC's Commission on the Status of Women. Additionally, she resides on the editorial boards of Journal of Public Relations Research, Journal of Public Relations Education, Journal of Media Ethics, Journal of Communication Management, and Journal of Public Interest Communications. Prior to returning to academia, Dr. Place was a public affairs account manager and a not-for-profit communications manager in the Washington, D.C. area.
Recent Honors and Awards:
* Recipient, M&T Bank Center for Women & Business Research Award, 2023-2024
* Finalist, Scripps-Howard / AEJMC 2023 Teacher of the Year
* Co-Recipient, Top Teaching Paper, AEJMC Public Relations Division, August 2023
* Recipient, Top Ethics Paper Award, International PR Research Conference (IPRRC), March 2023
* Recipient, Top Teaching Brief (GIFT) PRSA Educators Academy Summit, November 2022
* Co-Recipient, Top Teaching Paper, AEJMC Public Relations Division, August 2022
* Recipient, Top Paper, AEJMC Cultural & Critical Studies Division, August 2021
• Recipient, Arthur W. Page Center Senior Research Fellow (2019-2023) - Awarded grant to study organizational listening and marginalized publics.
• Recipient, 2020 Institute for Public Relations W. Ward White Award for Top Three Papers of Practical Significance - for paper on social media ethics
• Recipient, 2019 Institute for Public Relations W. Ward White Award for Top Three Papers of Practical Significance - for paper on social media marginalized publics
• Recipient, 2018 Institute for Public Relations W. Ward White Award for Top Three Papers of Practical Significance - for paper on listening and public relations
• Recipient, 2017-2018 Page and Johnson Legacy Scholar Grant, Sponsored by Arthur W. Page Center to study social media & mobile technology for low-income publics.
• Recipient, 2017 Plank Center Educators Fellowship @ Weber Shandwick
• Recipient, Journal of Public Relations Research 2015 “Karen Russell Award"
• Recipient, Quinnipiac University Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant, 2016-2017
• Recipient, Quinnipiac University Summer Research Grant, 2016
• Hootsuite Certified Professional – Certificate Awarded on October 8, 2015
• Recipient, Quinnipiac University Summer Research Grant, 2015
• Fellow & Research Associate, Lillian Lodge Kopenhaver Center for the Advancement of Women in Communications