Katie R Place
Associate Professor of Strategic Communication
Katie R. Place (M.A. Virginia Tech, 2003 & Ph.D. University of Maryland, 2010) is an associate professor in the Department of Strategic Communication where she teaches courses in public relations, strategic planning, and public relations campaigns. Dr. Place's research examines the nexus of gender, power and ethics in public relations. She has authored more than 50 conference papers or publications -- including peer-reviewed articles in Journal of Public Relations Research, Public Relations Review, PRism, Journal of Mass Media Ethics, Public Relations Inquiry, and Journal of Communication Management. She serves as Chair of the Public Relations Division of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), is past Chair of AEJMC's Commission on the Status of Women, and resides on the editorial boards of Journal of Public Relations Research, Journal of Public Relations Education, and Journal of Public Interest Communications. Prior to returning to academia, Dr. Place was a public affairs account manager and a not-for-profit communications manager in the Washington, D.C. area.
Welcomes Media Inquiries
Recent Honors and Awards:
• Recipient, Arthur W. Page Center Senior Research Fellow (2019-2023) - Awarded grant to study organizational listening and marginalized publics.
• Recipeint, 2020 Institute for Public Relations W. Ward White Award for Top Three Papers of Practical Significance - for paper on social media ethics
• Recipient, 2019 Institute for Public Relations W. Ward White Award for Top Three Papers of Practical Significance - for paper on social media marginalized publics
• Recipient, 2018 Institute for Public Relations W. Ward White Award for Top Three Papers of Practical Significance - for paper on listening and public relations
• Recipient, 2017-2018 Page and Johnson Legacy Scholar Grant, Sponsored by Arthur W. Page Center to study social media & mobile technology for low-income publics.
• Recipient, 2017 Plank Center Educators Fellowship @ Weber Shandwick
• Recipient, Journal of Public Relations Research 2015 “Karen Russell Award"
• Recipient, Quinnipiac University Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant, 2016-2017
• Recipient, Quinnipiac University Summer Research Grant, 2016
• Hootsuite Certified Professional – Certificate Awarded on October 8, 2015
• Recipient, Quinnipiac University Summer Research Grant, 2015
• Fellow & Research Associate, Lillian Lodge Kopenhaver Center for the Advancement of Women in Communications