Quinnipiac University
Three business students walk on campus.

Undergraduate Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

Below you'll find some of the most common questions undergraduate students have about financial aid, loans and applying for aid. We encourage you to review them, and we always welcome you to reach out to us with your questions.

FAFSA Code and Key Dates

Quinnipiac University’s FAFSA/Federal School Code is 001402.

Deadlines for financial aid applications:

  • All first-year and transfer applicants: March 15*

  • Returning students: April 1

Apply Now

*The newly revised Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is now open. Applicants are encouraged to file the FAFSA to apply for financial aid as early as possible. Learn more about the changes to the 2024-2025 FAFSA

General Questions

No, Quinnipiac does not require the CSS Profile Form or any additional applications other than the FAFSA.

Students who apply early decision must have their admission applications filed by November 1 and check the box indicating that they want to be considered for our early decision admissions process.

Apply for admission to Quinnipiac

Apply for financial aid

There is no separate application necessary for merit scholarship consideration. You’ll be notified of any scholarship awards at the time of your acceptance. The scholarships are available to full-time, incoming first-year students and are worth $18,000 to $33,000 per year.

Learn more about scholarships and grants

The financial aid office has a limited amount of resources to distribute as equitably as possible to all of our financial aid applicants. We do meet a percentage of calculated need, and most families supplement their EFC and unmet need through a variety of resources such as PLUS loans, alternative loans and payment plans.

Learn more about loans

Learn more about tuition payment programs

Payment Options

The One Stop office administers payment options. In addition to making payments, One Stop can also assist you with invoices/bills, tuition payment plans, student account servicing — including setting up proxy access — registration, parking passes and meal plans.

Yes. Our deadline to submit the FAFSA is March 15 (first-year and transfer applicants) and April 1 (returning applicants).

The newly revised Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is now open. Applicants are encouraged to file the FAFSA to apply for financial aid as early as possible. Learn more about changes to the 2024-2025 FAFSA

Apply for financial aid

Learn more about eligibility and policies

No. You may reduce the loan amount in the self-service portal by indicating the amount you wish to borrow and check the "accept" line to submit your change.

Learn more about your financial aid offer

Yes. Students who need additional funds for off-campus housing can receive financial aid to cover these costs. However, it is important to note that landlords often require a security deposit, first-month's rent, etc. well before the start of the semester so students will need to make the appropriate arrangements prior to the receipt of their financial aid to secure their off-campus housing.

It is also important to note that financial aid is not credited to a student's account until the add/drop period of the semester has elapsed. After a student's registration status is confirmed, the financial aid and bursar's offices will work together to issue refund checks for these expenses once all University expenses are paid.

Yes. You may apply for financial aid once a semester has started. Keep in mind that all paperwork must be complete, your FAFSA results received by the university and your federal loans must be certified prior to the last date of enrollment for the academic period. Institutional funding is subject to availability.

Apply for Financial Aid

Yes. Students who need additional funds for the purchase of a computer, books or the Quinnipiac health insurance plan may request that their COA be increased to allow for additional borrowing.

Quinnipiac does not offer grant aid for these purchases; however, any increase in loan funds will serve to repay you for these purchases. Returning students must provide proof to the Office of Financial Aid that a computer has been purchased in the academic year for which funds are being requested. Laptop computers are required for incoming students; therefore, anyone needing additional loan funds should notify the financial aid office.

Students taking between 12 and 16 credits are charged a flat, full-time fee for the semester. Students are charged a per-credit rate for anything over 16 credits. Our financial aid policy does not allow institutional grants to be awarded for charges above those of a full-time student. However, if a student brings these extra charges to our attention, we can increase the COA and consider the applicant for additional parent or student loans to assist.

Sometimes the grant funds you received last year are no longer available. Our office will award grant dollars from another program to meet the grant percentage for which you are eligible.

No two students or families are exactly alike, and therefore, no two financial aid packages are exactly the same. Families often overlook some of the mitigating factors that impact a student’s financial aid package such as merit, grade level, need, family size, number attending college, special circumstances, meeting deadlines, etc., all of which can factor into a student’s award.

Yes. Your educational costs and financial aid package will be re-evaluated for the abroad semester. Generally, your aid will remain the same unless there are specific policies for a particular fund that prohibit the use of aid for these purposes.

Loans FAQs

We recommend accepting the federal student loan(s) offered as part of the student’s financial aid package first. Federal student loans often have a low fixed interest rate, do not require a credit check or co-signer, and offer favorable repayment options. If additional borrowing is needed to pay the balance due to the university, please see the options below:

The federal government offers each parent the opportunity to apply for a Parent PLUS loan. This is an educational loan in which the parent is the borrower, and the parent is responsible for repaying the loan. The borrower has the option to begin repaying the loan once the funds fully disburse to the school, or defer payments while their student is attending school on at least a half-time basis. The loan application is located at the Federal Student Aid website. The borrowing parent will sign in the website using their FSA ID, which is the same login used to electronically sign the FAFSA. You can create an ID on the website if you do not already have one. The government charges an origination fee for borrowing this loan. The fee is 4.228% of the borrowed amount of the loan. Remember to add this fee into the amount you decide to borrow. 

A student (or parent/guardian) can choose to borrow a private educational loan to fund the cost of attending college. Many of the private lenders are housed under the ELMselect educational lending website. As an undergraduate student, you will need a co-signer to secure the loan. The lenders provide their customer service phone numbers on the Elm Select website. We encourage you to reach out to the lender you are considering if you have any questions.

As a first-time federal student loan borrower, the government requires the student to sign in the the Federal Student Aid website using their FSA ID to:

  1. Complete Entrance Counseling – a question/answer online session regarding the terms and conditions of federal student loans, how interest works and repayment information.

  2. Sign an online Master Promissory Note – the promise to repay the loan, including any accrued interest, beginning 6 months after graduating or leaving college on a less than half-time basis.

Both requirements are located under the “Complete Aid Process” tab.

Yes. The Parent PLUS loan is a federal loan, and requires the student to file a FAFSA.

Learn more about the Parent PLUS loan

If a parent is denied credit for the PLUS loan, a first year or sophomore student will be offered an additional $4,000 unsubsidized government student loan ($5,000 for juniors and seniors) as part of their financial aid package for the school year. Parent PLUS will notify the school of the parent's credit decision in 24 to 48 hours. This additional student loan is allowable only if the PLUS loan decision is not overturned on appeal or endorsed for payment. Note: if one parent is denied credit but the other parent is approved to borrow the PLUS loan, the additional student loan is not allowable. Parent PLUS can be reached at 1-800-557-7394 with any questions.

Learn more about Parent PLUS loans

Federal Direct Student Loans (offered as part of the student’s financial aid package) borrowing limits are set by the federal government and are based on a student’s grade level. Parent PLUS and private loan borrowing limits include the difference between the cost of attendance, less all aid offered.

This is the choice of the borrower, however, we recommend borrowers secure funds annually and not on a semester by semester basis. Borrowing annually minimizes application time, processing time and assures that funds will be available for both the fall and spring semesters. It also avoids multiple credit checks in one year which can often have an adverse effect on your credit score.

Rates and fees vary between loan programs. Students and parents are encouraged to learn more about loan options learn more about loan options.

We're here to help you understand your options. Please contact our office:

Call 203-582-8750

Email finaid@qu.edu

Eligibility, Policies and Unique Circumstances

To be eligible for financial aid you must be matriculated into a degree-granting program, be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen as defined by the FAFSA, be in compliance with various regulatory requirements of federal and state programs and university policies and procedures including making Satisfactory Academic Progress. In addition, you must be enrolled as least part-time (6 or more credits each semester).

Review undergraduate financial eligibility, policies and unique circumstances