A recommended laptop is purchased at a discount and includes a comprehensive three-year hardware warranty, including accidental damage coverage. The Dell warranty includes free next-day on-site repair for all hardware problems, including problems caused by accidental damage. Mac laptops come with AppleCare+, which provides free hardware repairs for non-accidental damage and discounted repairs for accidental damage at an Apple Store.
Technical assistance and support for software problems are available, regardless of what laptop a student has, but hardware support is limited for non-recommended models.
Even if you do not purchase a recommended laptop, please be aware that you are still eligible to download Microsoft Office, antivirus software, and other commonly used applications for free on MyQ.
The recommended laptops are prepared and shipped by the manufacturer and do not come with any Quinnipiac-licensed software preinstalled. However, Microsoft Office, antivirus software, and other commonly used applications are available to download for free via MyQ. Please visit the Frequently Requested Software page on MyQ for more information on available software.
Consider what you need in a laptop and then compare that to each model's features. Here are some examples of questions to consider:
Does your major encourage students to use Windows or Mac laptops? If you are not sure, ask someone from your department what they recommend.
Please note: Students enrolled in the BS in Graphic and Interactive Design (GID) are advised to purchase a MacBook Pro. See more details about computer recommendations for School of Communications students (MyQ login required)
How often are you going to carry your laptop with you? If you want to bring it with you everywhere, you might want to purchase a lightweight laptop.
Do you plan to store a lot of large files, such as pictures and videos, on your computer? If so, you should either choose a laptop with a lot of storage space or consider purchasing an external drive to store large files you do not use frequently.
There are many other factors to consider when making your decision. If you need advice or have a question about a particular model, please call 203-582-HELP (4357) or submit a Technology Help Request.
It depends on what you want to use with your laptop. A few recommended accessories are:
- USB-C adapter - If you are planning to purchase a MacBook Pro, please consider also purchasing a USB-C-to-USB-A adapter. This model of Mac contains four USB-C ports, but no USB-A ports, meaning standard USB thumb drives cannot be plugged into it.
- External CD/DVD player - If you want to play DVDs or CDs on your laptop sometimes, you could purchase an external CD/DVD drive that you could plug into a USB port.
- External hard drive - If you need extra storage space or want to do regular backups of your computer, purchasing an external USB drive with lots of storage space is a great idea.
Payment options vary for each laptop manufacturer:
- Apple laptops can be purchased via credit card or via Apple gift cards. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and American Express are accepted. Financing is also available for Apple laptops. (This option will be presented during checkout.)
- Dell laptops can be purchased via credit card or via mailed cashier's check. Mastercard, Visa, and Discover are accepted.
Financing is available only for Apple laptops and this option is presented during checkout.
You should have your laptop delivered to your home. Because of export laws and license restrictions, laptop manufacturers will not ship a computer outside the United States. If you do not have an address within the U.S., you will need to make alternate arrangements to have the laptop shipped to your Quinnipiac address or another U.S. address.
Yes, a family can request additional PLUS Loan (parent loan) or alternative loan funds for computer-related expenses. Just include the cost of the computer when applying for your loan, and send the Office of Financial Aid proof of purchase to support the additional costs, so it can certify the appropriate amount on your loan. For entering students, federal regulations require all loan proceeds to be disbursed no earlier than 30 days after the beginning of the semester. Students will need to take this into consideration when purchasing a computer. Grant aid is not available for these purchases. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 203-582-8750 or 800-462-1944, or by email at email@example.com.