Quinnipiac University

Traveling to the United States

Last updated December 20, 2023

International Student Services | New Student Information

Please review the following information to help prepare you for your arrival in the U.S. It is important to be familiar with the procedures you will go through after landing at the airport or crossing the land border.

It is also important to plan your travel dates to attend International Student Orientation and complete your ISS Check-in after you arrive in the U.S. Be sure to review the Pre-Arrival Checklist on Q-Start for detailed resources and action items to take before beginning your studies at Quinnipiac. If you are arriving before your campus housing is available, make sure you have arranged a place to stay beforehand. 

Traveling to the U.S.

Per U.S. federal regulations, if you are coming to the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 visa status with an I-20 or DS-2019 that reads "Initial Attendance" for the "Form Issue Reason" on page 1, the earliest you may enter the country is 30 days before your program start date.

If you are an F-1 international student who has already studied at an SEVP-certified school and are transferring your SEVIS record to Quinnipiac, you may travel outside the U.S. and reenter more than 30 days before the program start date listed on page 1 of your Quinnipiac I-20.

When you arrive in the U.S. at an airport or land border, you will go through an immigration inspection. Students entering F-1 or J-1 status will need to present the following items to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) official. Explain that you are a student on an F-1 or J-1 visa and present the following documents to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer:

  • Passport (valid 6 months into the future)
  • F-1 or J-1 visa (valid at the time of your entry)
  • Printed Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS-2019 (J-1) (issued to you by Quinnipiac University)
  • SEVIS I-901 Fee receipt (physical copy you have printed)
  • We also recommend you have with you your letter of admission to Quinnipiac and proof of funding for your program of study.

Pack the immigration documents listed above in your carry-on bag because you will not pick up your luggage until after this process. Please note that if you are a student from Canada or Bermuda you will not have an F-1 visa.

Upon entry into the United States, the CBP Officer will produce an electronic version of your I-94 admission record using your official passport and visa. You should access your I-94 record on the CBP’s website to ensure that you were admitted in the correct (F-1 or J-1) status and for the correct period (typically, for the Duration of your Status or D/S).

New border procedures require digital imaging of fingerprints, a photograph, and verification of your record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), the U.S. government student database.

If the immigration inspector cannot immediately find your record, he or she may ask you to go to a second station where the officer has a little more time to find your record. Do not panic – this does not mean there is a problem.

If any questions arise during or after your time at U.S. Customs and Border Protection Primary or Secondary Inspection, you or CBP can contact Quinnipiac's Office of International Students and Scholars directly at +1-203-582-8425. During normal business hours (Monday-Friday between 9:00 am-5:00 pm Eastern Time), please contact ISS by phone. Outside of business hours, you may contact Quinnipiac University Public Safety at +1-203-582-6200 (24/hour phone line) and the officer on duty will notify OISS Staff to contact you by the phone number you provide.

Quinnipiac University students have a variety of options for airports within driving distance to the campus. The nearest major international airports are John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, NY (JFK), Newark International in Newark, New Jersey (EWR), and Logan Airport in Boston, MA (BOS). We advise international students to choose JFK as their arrival airport as this is the most convenient airport for international arrivals.

Bradley International in Windsor Locks, CT (BDL) and LaGuardia Airport in New York, NY (LGA) are additional options. Tweed-New Haven Regional Airport is a smaller airport located just outside of New Haven with limited flights during the day.

It is important for the Office of International Student Services and Residential Life to know your complete flight itinerary. You will be asked to complete an Arrival Form in the International QStart Pre-Arrival Checklist one month before the start of the semester.

Quinnipiac’s Office of International Student Services Shuttle Service:

Sign up for our Free Airport Shuttle Service offered through Go Airport Shuttle for new international students during specific days and hours in the days preceding the start of classes. Information about this service and the sign-up link will be available on the International Q-Start Pre-Arrival Checklist.

Go Airport Shuttle of Connecticut:

The Shuttle (available only from LaGuardia or JFK Airports) goes directly to Quinnipiac University's Mount Carmel or York Hill campuses and costs about $85. For more information, visit www.2theairport.com or call +1-866-284-3247 or +1-203-891-1280.

By Taxi or Ride Service:

Taking a taxi or ride service like Uber or Lyft from JFK is more expensive and will cost approximately $200+ USD.

By Car:

Follow the directions on this page for the best way to get to each of our 3 campuses, no matter where you’re coming from.

By Bus or Train:

Amtrak trains, Metro-North trains, and Peter Pan buses all make regular stops at the New Haven railroad and bus station (Union Station), which is located in Downtown New Haven. From there you can take a quick ten-minute taxi ride to campus. Metro Taxi New Haven Telephone number is (203) 777-7777.

May I travel with my family?

Of course you may! Your family may find the following information helpful when planning their visit:

What happens if I arrive late or have travel delays?

For travel delays, students should call the Office of International Student Services and leave a detailed message at +1-203-582-8425 or email oiss@qu.edu to inform us about your delay.

If you arrive at Quinnipiac University after business hours, go to the Office of Public Safety to get a key and be escorted to your room. The Office of Public Safety is located on Bobcat Way at the New Road Entrance on Mount Carmel Campus. You can call the 24-hour phone number +1-203-582-6200 to speak with an officer on duty.

What do I do if my visa, passport, or other important documentation is lost during the trip?

If you lost your documents outside of the United States:

  • Email the Office of International Student Services at oiss@qu.edu and inform them of the problem.
  • You will be required to return home to obtain replacement documents.

If you lose your documents inside of the United States:

  • First, you should contact the local police immediately. You will need a police report to present to the consulate/embassy to prove that your documents were lost.
  • Contact the Office of International Student Services at oiss@qu.edu and inform them of the problem. They will tell you what to do based on your individual situation.

Contact Us