May 1 is the priority deadline for fall enrollment.
Admission to the Graduate MAT program is based on a holistic review by MAT program faculty of the following admission requirements:
- A minimum 3.0 overall undergraduate GPA (from all colleges and universities attended) for 45 credits of course work with a subject area major or appropriate interdisciplinary major.
- A transcript review that indicates a “B” or better performance in courses related to mathematics as well as English/language arts. (Students whose transcripts do not meet this criteria will be required to provide proof of basic math/reading competencies as determined by the MAT program director.)
- Evidence of one of the following basic skills assessments:
Praxis Core Mathematics, Reading, and Writing Tests, SAT, ACT
- At least two written recommendations from individuals who have recent knowledge (within the last two years) of the applicant's suitability as a prospective educator, including one from a college instructor.
- A written essay completed on-site that meets program standards.
- A formal interview during which the applicant is expected to demonstrate: an ability to communicate clearly; a demeanor appropriate to the teaching profession; and a maturity and attitude necessary to meet the demands of the MAT program.
- Effective July 1, 2010, Connecticut law requires all teacher candidates to undergo a criminal background check prior to being placed in a public school setting for field study, internship and student teaching. Because a clinical experience is an integral part of each semester, failure to abide by this law will make an applicant ineligible for admission to the program. The School of Education has procedures in place to assist candidates in obtaining the background check. The cost of the background check is the responsibility of the teacher candidate.
Applications are reviewed once all of the required materials have been received. It is your responsibility to ensure that missing documents are received prior to the stated admissions deadline.