General FAQs


Q. What is Quinnipiac's Federal School Code?


Q. How do I contact the Financial Aid Office?

Questions? We’re here to help. Email the Office of Graduate Financial Aid or call us at 800-462-1944.

Office of Graduate Financial Aid
Heather Hamilton, director, graduate financial aid
Jill Wurcel, associate director, graduate financial aid
Deborah Stankiewicz, secretary, graduate financial aid

Phone: 203-582-8588 or 1-800-462-1944
Fax: 203-582-4061

Office Hours
Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Center for Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
2nd Floor Upper Mezzanine, Room 275 
North Haven Campus, 370 Bassett Road, North Haven, Connecticut 06473

Quinnipiac University
Office of Graduate Financial Aid, NH-GRD
275 Mount Carmel Avenue
Hamden, Connecticut 06518

Borrowing FAQ

Q. How much can I borrow?
Graduate students can borrow up to $20,500 in the Direct Unsubsidized loan, based on your enrollment and Cost of Attendance. Graduate PLUS loan borrowers can apply for amounts up to the difference between the cost of attendance less all aid offered.

Borrowing FAQ

Q. What are the interest rates and fees on loans?
Rates and fees vary between loan programs and all students and parents are encouraged to visit our Loans page for details.

Application Questions

Q.  There is two FAFSA that I can complete, which one should I complete?

If you are looking for financial aid for the Summer 2017, Fall 2017 or the Spring 2018 semester(s), you will need to complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA, which can be completed beginning October 1, 2016.

If you are looking for financial aid for the Summer 2018, Fall 2018 or Spring 2019 semester(s), you will need to complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA.  The 2018-2019 FAFSA will be available beginning October 1, 2017.

Borrowing FAQ

Q.  When completing the FAFSA, it says to use my 2015 tax return is that correct?

Yes, beginning Oct. 1, 2016 the FAFSA will be using tax information from two years ago, hence known as prior-prior year information.

Borrowing FAQ

Q.  I am completing the FAFSA but I have to enter my tax information from two years ago.  Since I am quitting my job to start graduate school, how will the financial aid office take this into consideration?

While we understanding the FAFSA does not reflect your current situation, we do not make adjustments to a student’s income information because they have left school since this is a common situation for many of our graduate programs.

Borrowing FAQ

Q.  Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes, you need to reapply and submit the FAFSA (for federal funds), the Graduate Grant application (for grant funds) and the financial aid application each year.

Borrowing FAQ

Q.  If I have already started the semester, can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes, as long as the semester or academic year in which you are enrolled has not ended.  Students must submit all financial aid paperwork at least 2 to 3 weeks prior to the end of the semester for the paperwork to be processed.  In addition, students will need to review all communications with the financial aid office to confirm all necessary paperwork is completed for the funds to come to the school.

General Questions

Q.  I had loans during my undergraduate program that I am currently making payments on, how can I stop payments while in Graduate school?

As long as you are enrolled at least part-time (5 or more credits) each semester, then you may qualify for an in-school loan deferment on your Federal loans for that semester (as long as the semester has begun).  The Registrar’s office will report electronically 2 weeks into the semester that you have returned to school to the Student Loan Clearinghouse.  As a borrower, you will want to confirm with your lender/servicer if they participate or if you have to file paperwork.  If so, paperwork can be sent to the Registrar’s office.

If you have private educational loans you are paying on, you want to confirm that you would qualify for the in-school deferment and then complete the necessary paperwork.    

General Questions

Q.  I understand I am eligible as a Graduate student to receive $20,500 in a Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan, but what do I do if I need more than that for school?

We understand that many students, depending upon their program of study may need more than the $20,500 (maximum amount) to cover their expenses.  Generally, students consider submitting the QU Grant paperwork for consideration of the University grant funds (if eligible), consider Federal Graduate PLUS or private educational loans (see loan section) or research outside scholarship opportunities (see our Helpful Resources & tools section).

General Questions

Q.  I have borrowed in excess of my tuition and fees.  How will I receive my money?

If you have borrowed in excess of your bill, the funds will be issued to you in the form of a credit refund within two weeks of school starting and the funds coming to the school.  The refunds are direct deposited into your bank account (if you signed up for direct deposit in WebAdvisor) or mailed to your permanent mailing address.  Please note, refunds are not guaranteed to be available by the 1st of the month to cover rent and other expenses, we encourage you to plan accordingly.

General Questions

Q.  I understand I have a Cost of Attendance budget, but I’m married and need to have a higher budget because I have a family.  Why can’t it be increased?

While we understand that students will all have different financial situations.  Financial aid budgets do not allow for family costs and are based on expenses for the student only.

We realize that based on personal lifestyles and courses required, the cost of books, supplies and living expenses will vary from student to student.  To remain fair and equitable to all financial aid recipients, we use a standard budget for students based on their program, housing and enrollment plans.