Quinnipiac University

Visa Information

Last updated January 05, 2024

International Student Services | New Student Information

Congratulations on your acceptance to Quinnipiac University! You are about to join a diverse, global community of students and scholars. We look forward to meeting you and assisting you with your transition to Quinnipiac.

To enter the U.S., most foreign nationals will need a passport from their home country and a U.S. visa in their passport.

  • Degree-seeking students and dual-degree students will usually hold F-1 visas.

  • Visiting exchange students will usually hold J-1 visas.

  • Some students are dependents of parents already in the U.S. on a visa (H-4, L-2, A-2, etc.)

The Quinnipiac International Admissions Office will issue the immigration form (I-20 or DS-2019) which will be needed before applying for your U.S. student visa.

Steps to Apply for Your Visa

In order to obtain an I-20 (F-1 Students) or DS-2019 (J-1 Exchange Visitors) once you have been accepted to Quinnipiac, you must submit the following via your application portal:

  • Passport
  • The Statement of Finances form completed, dated, and signed by you and your sponsor(s).
  • An original, current bank statement from you or your sponsor(s) indicating that the required funds are available. The bank statement must be written in English on official bank letterhead and must contain an account number and the amount of money available in U.S. dollars or its foreign currency equivalent. The bank statement must be also signed by a bank official and dated within six months of the intended semester of admission. If sponsored, the sponsor(s) name(s) must be clearly mentioned on the bank statement.
  • Government-sponsored or company-sponsored students must submit an official letter from their sponsoring government or company indicating which costs (tuition, fees, health insurance, housing, food, etc.) will be provided.

After you have submitted the required documentation and it has been approved, International Admissions will create your Form I-20 or DS-2019, upload a copy for you to access via the admissions portal, and send you a confirmation email.

Any questions on this step, please contact the International Admissions Office at ISA@qu.edu.

Students applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa must pay the SEVIS fee once they receive their I-20 form and make an appointment for an F-1 or J-1 Visa interview right away. The SEVIS fee must be paid online after you obtain your I-20 or DS-2019 Form from Quinnipiac University and before you go to your student visa interview at the U.S. embassy in your home country. Pay the SEVIS Fee online at www.fmjfee.com. 

Quinnipiac University has two school codes, dependent on your program of study: 

  • Quinnipiac University BOS214F10108000
  • North Haven Campus BOS214F10108002 (Medicine, Law, Masters of Teaching, Masters of Social Work, Masters of Biomedical Sciences)

Your school code and your SEVIS ID number are listed on page 1 of your immigration document. It is important to print out and keep the receipt for this payment; we recommend you have it with you with your other immigration documents when you enter the U.S. at a port of entry.

After paying the I-901 SEVIS Fee, you should complete a Form DS-160 online and schedule a visa appointment at a U.S. consulate/embassy abroad, ideally in your passport country, using your SEVIS ID number and school code (both found on your I-20 or DS-2019). Unless you are a citizen of Canada or Bermuda, you will need a valid F-1 or J-1 visa issued by an American embassy/consulate for entry to the U.S. Please use this U.S. Department of State page to locate your nearest U.S. embassy/consulate and confirm requirements for obtaining your visa.

Prepare the documents you will need:

  • Passport (valid for at least six months beyond the date of travel to the U.S.)
  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019
  • Copy of Quinnipiac admission letter/email
  • SEVIS Fee Receipt
  • Financial documents (financial aid award letter, your scholarship letter, or letter of support from you/your family stating you have sufficient funding to study in the U.S.)
  • Any other documents listed on the embassy/consulate website

When you have scheduled your visa appointment, please contact International Admissions at isa@qu.edu to inform them of your interview date.

Most nonimmigrant visas require you to establish that you are going to the U.S. for a temporary purpose only, such as pursuing an academic degree, and do not intend to stay permanently. You need to show that: 

  • you will keep a residence abroad and expect to return there 
  • you have personal, professional, and financial ties to your home country 

Some examples of this might be evidence that you own a car or other physical property in your home country, community involvement, and immediate/extended family remaining in your country. 

Review 10 points to remember when applying for a non-immigrant visa from NAFSA: Association of International Educators, the leading organization committed to international education and exchange.

If you are unable to prove that you intend to return to your home country, the consular officer has the right to deny you an F-1 visa. If your visa is denied, please contact your International Admissions counselor at isa@qu.edu as soon as you receive written notice of denial. 

F-1 International students inside the U.S. who wish to transfer to Quinnipiac University should follow the transfer instructions sent to them along with their acceptance letter. To transfer to Quinnipiac University, you need to take your acceptance letter and the SEVIS transfer form to the International Student Office at your current university.

Request a transfer out to Quinnipiac University. Once you submit this paperwork you have completed the necessary steps for transferring. Once we receive the SEVIS transfer and your new financial documents, we will issue your new I-20 for Quinnipiac University.

Quinnipiac University has two school codes, dependent on your program of study:

  • Quinnipiac University BOS214F10108000 (College of Arts & Sciences, Business, Computing & Engineering, Health Sciences)
  • North Haven Campus BOS214F10108002 (Medicine, Law, Masters of Teaching, Masters of Social Work)

Citizens of Canada and Bermuda are exempt from applying for the F-1 visa at the consulate or embassy, but must present their valid passport, Quinnipiac I-20, financial documentation, and SEVIS fee payment receipt at the port of entry to the U.S. They will hold F-1 status in the U.S. during their degree program.

Have Questions? Contact Us